A very wet Christmas at Kilcowera Station

If you can't find a pigeon-hole elsewhere, please post your observations here...

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Toni

A very wet Christmas at Kilcowera Station

Post by Toni »

Hi to all at TBO! I can hardly keep the grin from my face - we had 97 mls on Christmas day! It started raining about 5.30am and just rained all day :D

About a week before the rain we started to see little flocks of Budgies flying west north west and thought " Oh well it probably is going to rain out there" as the weather bureau had been predicting rain for a large part of western QLD and NSW. And we waited and waited and it eventually started to rain.

Cardenyabba Creek is running all over the place as is Box creek, both of these are near our house and we can hear all the frogs croaking, croaking all night long. Poor little things - they must be very happy. There are swamps and dams full, the big lagoon near the shearers quarters will be full as well. We can't get to it yet and also don't know if there has been as much rain to the east out around Lake Wyara. Even though it will take a hell of a lot of rain to fill it up. But maybe the creeks ran out there as well.

We have not had this much water around the place this decade! :shock: I'll be able to fill in some of the water birds on my bird list on this website now.

Happy New year to everyone and keep your eyes peeled! Cheers Toni

Return to “Bird notes”