Pelicans back at Kilcowera

If you can't find a pigeon-hole elsewhere, please post your observations here...

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Toni

Pelicans back at Kilcowera

Post by Toni »

Whoops, that subject line should really read Pelicans back at Lake Wyara!
After the terrific summer rain received here Lake Wyara has lots of water in it and the pelicans are nesting on their island this year and also on the foreshores of the Lake. I'm guessing they couldn't all fit on the island.

There is no access to either of the lakes from the NP side due to flood waters but Wyara can be reached from the Kilcowera side. To get the best view of the pelicans visitors would need to bring a telescope.

Lake Bindegolly also looks fabulous and brimming full, a far cry from the dustbowl it has been for the last 10 years. Regards Toni
Mick Atzeni

Kilcowera

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Great to hear, Toni! If only you were a bit closer.

Given the water levels, what time of year would you think would be best to come out?

Cheers
Mick
Toni

Floods gone from most of the SW

Post by Toni »

Morning all, the floods have gone from my area of the SW. Further west around Innaminka there is still flooding and still some roads out in Currawinya and across the Hungerford - Bourke road, I don't expect that will be there much longer.

Anytime from now is the best time to visit, the egrets and herons already have nearly grown chicks, the budgies are raising their families and I see galshs feeding their mobile youngsters.

Every year is different!!! Cheers Toni

Return to “Bird notes”