Emerald Doves in Redwood Park

If you can't find a pigeon-hole elsewhere, please post your observations here...

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Emerald Doves in Redwood Park

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Over the last few years the Emerald Dove has not been reported very often from the Toowoomba area considering that it used to be fairly commonly seen on the range escarpment in earlier times. Just lately, however, it seems to be back in Redwood Park in numbers. Since early May I've now had four sightings of this little pigeon from that area.

My initial sighting was of a single bird flying across Bridge Street into Redwood Park on the 02/04/2010. On the 16/05/2010 I saw another bird on Gatton Creek not far up from the bottom creek crossing at GDA 94 - S 27.56428 deg., E 151.99040 deg. Yesterday I saw two of the species on the Redwood Forest Walk just above Gatton Creek at GDA 94 - S 27.56360 deg., E 151.99777 deg. and GDA 94 - S 27. 56317 deg., E 151.99747 deg. respectively.

I'm not sure what has caused this influx but it might be that there is now quite a bit of water back in the upper reaches of the creek, which had been bone dry for many years previous. Or maybe it's just that I'm getting into the park more regularly of late?

Anyway, despite the ecologically dilapidated state of the park the last few days were quite productive for me. Aside to the Emerald Doves I also saw Brush Cuckoo, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Wonga Pigeon, Australian Brush-turkey, Golden Whistler, Dusky Woodswallow, White-naped Honeyeater and Varied Triller but to name a few.

Also, had very good looks at a Yellow-footed Antechinus (Antechinus flavipes) and found two clumps of Bridal Veil Orchids (Dockrillia teretifolia). Unfortunately both these orchids were on dead, fallen trees downed by smothering Cat's Claw Creeper so their future looks bleak indeed. Evening Brown Butterflies are very common in Redwood at present, as well, especially along the lower reaches of Gatton Creek where the carpet of Madeira Vine at least makes access easy and comfortable for walkers!

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Bird notes”