Musk Lorikeets at Picnic Point

If you can't find a pigeon-hole elsewhere, please post your observations here...

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Musk Lorikeets at Picnic Point

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Yesterday evening I was returning from a walk around the base of Picnic Point to my vehicle at Lions Park, Tourist Road in east Toowoomba. I arrived there at 4.55pm. The afternoon was very gloomy, wet and cold with 100% cloud cover. On approaching my vehicle I was attracted to a clamour of lorikeet screeching and chattering in the surrounding trees, which I suspected initially to be from Rainbow Lorikeets. At least two of the local eucalypts are flowering at present and are attracting large numbers of these birds.

On closer inspection of the birds in question I was very surprised to note that they were all Musk Lorikeets. I checked them out until 5.05pm and found them to be exclusively Muskies; no other species apparent although I'd seen Little, Scaly-breasted and Rainbow Lorikeets early in the afternoon in the general vicinity. I calculated that their numbers were in excess of 300 individuals and consider this a conservative estimate. At any one time there were several flocks of up to twenty or thirty birds swirling about, as well as numerous pairs or individual birds doing likewise. They were flying betwen the eucalypts in Lions Park and the Hoop and Kauri Pines along Tourist Road adjacent to the park. The birds were beginning to settle down as I departed, as the drizzling rain was getting quite heavy. The Muskies seemed to prefer the denser crowns of the Kauris to the more open eucalypts for their roost.

I was enthralled by this sighting especially in that the Musk Lorikeet is the least common of the local lorikeets. I'm used to seeing it in pairs up to small flocks of about a dozen birds and not in the huge numbers of yesterday; a memorable sighting, indeed.

I suppose that they'll be about for a while if anyone is interested in having a look. Well worth it, I reckon.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Rod Hobson

Muskies still about

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Musk Lorikeets are still around suburban Toowoomba in good numbers. All of this last week they've been feeding in the eucalypts in Garnet Lehmann Park adjacent to the Alderley Street Waterbird Habitat. Late afternoon seems to be a very good time for them here. Whilst not in the large numbers that I've recently spied at Picnic Point there have still been upward of 60 birds in this park on any single occasion over the last week. There has also been lesser numbers of Rainbow and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets mixed up with the Muskies.

Whilst walking in this area I have also noticed a large number of Little Friarbirds in the park and around the Waterbird Habitat generally. Striped Marsh Frogs (Limnodynastes peronii) are quite vocal lately and breeding in the small creek running through this parkland, as well.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Bird notes”