Magpie Geese

If you can't find a pigeon-hole elsewhere, please post your observations here...

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Christopher

Magpie Geese

Post by Christopher »

Hi Ho Folks,

Been meaning to ask/comment for awhile now on this. But it would seem there is a permanent flock of magpie geese near the Maccas on the highway at Gatton. Most times I see them on the left hand side (going to Bris) a couple of kms before Maccas, in and around the strawberry farms there. I have occasionally spotted them on the uni side, near the western end of the uni.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this normal that they are here abouts, permanently? Do folks know how long they've been there (I've seen them for more than a year now at a guess)?

Cheers
Christopher
Rod Hobson

Magpie Geese at UQ Gatton Campus

Post by Rod Hobson »

Chris,

I went to Gatton Uni in the early 1990's and the Magpie Geese were there then. I can't be sure but I think that they moved into the Gatton area in the late 1980's and have been there ever since. They move about the Gatton campus and the surrounding area depending on the location of good green pick, however a large number seem to regularly roost on the high ground around Lake Galletly on the university's campus.

Since they arrived here they have spread west and south on to the Darling Downs and are fairly regularly seen on Lake Broadwater near Dalby. Since arriving here they've also bred in the Lockyer and near Pittsworth and Oakey to my recollection.

The Wandering Whistling Duck also returned to the Lockyer at about the same time as the Magpie Goose.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Pat McConnell

Magpie Geese

Post by Pat McConnell »

Hello Christopher and Rod. Just some more information on Magpie Geese. The first records of Magpie Geese in the Club area were in February 1982 and then again in September 1982. I think these were near Carpendale not far from Helidon. There were sporatic sightings of them through the 1980's and they started to turn up regularly near Helidon in 1992.

Regards
Pat

Return to “Bird notes”