Do adult Olive-backed Orioles depart ahead of juveniles?

aka DDDs (Departure Date Determinations). When migrants return, we delight in claiming the "First for the season". So why is it that we don't place equal emphasis on claiming the "Last for the season"? Well we all know why. It's too darn hard. Unless we religiously keep a diary of our sightings and then compare notes in the off-season to determine whose was the last sighting, how would we do it? Well now I think I know: provide another avenue for some one-up-manship on a public forum! If you've bettered the last date, please set the record straight ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Do adult Olive-backed Orioles depart ahead of juveniles?

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Olive-backed Orioles are a summer breeding migrant (Sep-Apr) in south east Australia.

I'm not sure if this is significant, but yesterday we saw individual immature Olive-backed Orioles at three locations: Murphy's Ck, Highfields Falls and Withcott, but no sign of any adult birds. I'm wondering if anyone else has noted the same thing lately?

Furthermore, will all the immatures eventually depart or do some remain until maturity. Are these what we intermittently see throughout the cooler months?

So take note of the orioles you're seeing lately and let us know if there are any adults around still.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Fielded

Post by Fielded »

Hello Mick

I just came upon your post. Yes I too noted a group of about 8 immature Olive-backed Orioless at my place on Flagstone Creek. Not an adult among them. This would have been Sunday 30 March. They were feeding on an exotic pine which was endowed with 100s of small purple fruit.

No adults around at the moment. Not sure if the last of the immatures have gone.

Cheers

Darren
Darren Fielder
Mick Atzeni

Immature orioles

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Theory's holding up so far. The Olive-backed Oriole in my yard today was an immature bird too.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Immature Orioles on the move?

Post by Mick Atzeni »

I hadn't seen or heard an Olive-backed Oriole for a couple of months at Upper Lockyer but today saw two birds, both immatures. The presence of only immature birds at this time of year is intriguing.

Is the same phenomenon occurring in your area? Where are the adults at present? Please let me know one way or another.

:?
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Adult

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Theory rocked today by a sighting of an adult oriole at Abberton, Helidon.

Still maintain the majority are immatures, and you'll be hard pressed to find an adult locally at present.

Cheers
Michael Atzeni

Return to “Going, going, gone ...”