Rainbow Bee-eaters still at Abberton

aka DDDs (Departure Date Determinations). When migrants return, we delight in claiming the "First for the season". So why is it that we don't place equal emphasis on claiming the "Last for the season"? Well we all know why. It's too darn hard. Unless we religiously keep a diary of our sightings and then compare notes in the off-season to determine whose was the last sighting, how would we do it? Well now I think I know: provide another avenue for some one-up-manship on a public forum! If you've bettered the last date, please set the record straight ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Bill Jolly

Rainbow Bee-eaters still at Abberton

Post by Bill Jolly »

Rainbow Bee-eaters here today, Sunday 9th April.

There isn't a month when we don't have records for them here. Their numbers are fewer in April, May and June, but we never lose them entirely, and they're pretty regular again in July.

Perhaps they leave the uprange part of the club's study area, for the winter, but there are usually some down the range.
Mick Atzeni

Rainbow Bee-eaters at Upper Lockyer

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A few Rainbow Bee-eaters flying over "Tiddalac" yesterday morning. They have been around intermittently during Autumn. Sometimes I just hear them briefly as they fly over the house; other times I've observed them perched in trees along the road into "Tiddalac" while doing my weekly survey of the property.

It's good, now that I live down the range "amongst the birds", that I will be able to compare notes with Bill on bee-eater presence/absence and a few other species. Let's see if what holds for around Helidon applies also to Upper Lockyer. For starters, I'll be interested to see if there's a spike in bee-eater numbers in July at Upper Lockyer too.

I'm also curious to know why Bill is getting a lot more cuckoos than me this time of year! I don't think I've had a bronze-cuckoo here all Autumn. :cry:
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Going, going, gone ...”