Yellow-faced Honeyeaters

aka DDDs (Departure Date Determinations). When migrants return, we delight in claiming the "First for the season". So why is it that we don't place equal emphasis on claiming the "Last for the season"? Well we all know why. It's too darn hard. Unless we religiously keep a diary of our sightings and then compare notes in the off-season to determine whose was the last sighting, how would we do it? Well now I think I know: provide another avenue for some one-up-manship on a public forum! If you've bettered the last date, please set the record straight ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Yellow-faced Honeyeaters

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Have had large numbers through our Rangeville yard in recent weeks. At one stage on Tuesday morning, there would have been about 25 birds in and around our Grevillea Honey Gem!

While I know this species moves through Toowoomba in large numbers during its winter migration every year, I'm interested to monitor how long this suburban invasion lasts.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Goodbye Yellowfaces, hello Silvereyes!

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Believe it or not, I haven't seen a Yellow-faced Honeyeater in our yard since my posting!

But that same grevillea Honey Gem is now attracting much larger numbers of silvereyes than when the Yellow-faced HE's were visiting last month. Every morning there's a continuous stream of them working the flowers. I'd guess 50+ but it's too hard to keep track of them. I enjoy the spectacle from our kitchen window as I prepare my breakfast. Makes a bowl of Just Right even (b)righter!
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Going, going, gone ...”