Have the spinebills already gone???

aka DDDs (Departure Date Determinations). When migrants return, we delight in claiming the "First for the season". So why is it that we don't place equal emphasis on claiming the "Last for the season"? Well we all know why. It's too darn hard. Unless we religiously keep a diary of our sightings and then compare notes in the off-season to determine whose was the last sighting, how would we do it? Well now I think I know: provide another avenue for some one-up-manship on a public forum! If you've bettered the last date, please set the record straight ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Have the spinebills already gone???

Post by Mick Atzeni »

It has been a couple of weeks since I've had an Eastern Spinebill at home and there's still plenty of grevillea blossom for them.

Has anyone seen one lately? If so, what date for the record? And let's keep a tab on them from here on.

If they've already departed, it would be a very early exit.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Eastern Spinebill - 53 Perth St

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Still around... A single bird in my yard this morning (23/7) but didn't hang around for long. The grevillea blossoms are still attracting plenty of silvereyes but not much else lately.
Michael Atzeni
Rod Hobson

Spinebill at Highfields

Post by Rod Hobson »

Mick,

I saw and heard Eastern Spinebill at the Chocolate Cottage, Highfields yesterday afternoon, 23.07.06.

Regards,
Rod H.
Pat McConnell

Eastern Spinebill

Post by Pat McConnell »

Mick they are still at Highfields as of 24/07/2006. Pat McConnell
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

I saw an Eastern Spinebill at Glen Lomond on Sunday morning -23/7/06. Restless Flycatcher still there, also.

Michael Wood
Michael Wood
Michael Wood

Spinebills at Highfields Falls

Post by Michael Wood »

This morning I spent about three hours at Highfields Falls, managing a list of 54 species, including at least five Eastern Spinebill -all seen. I believe there may have even been as many as seven or eight.

Spotted Pardalote and Striated Pardalotes seen entering excavated hollows in the dirt bank of the the road that runs along southern boundary. Lots of Figbirds were present, as well as at least six Olive-backed Oriole.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Wood
Mike McGoldrick

Post by Mike McGoldrick »

A lone Eastern Spinebill sighted in Nielsen Park on Saturday morning 19/08/06.Also female Rose Robin seen by Al Young.

Dave Sayers also reports Regent Honeyeaters seen on Myall Creek in Dalby

Cheers,
Mike McGoldrick
Fielded

Spinbills at Queen Mary Falls National Park

Post by Fielded »

Today I saw a pair of spinebills at Queen Mary Falls. So still around at this stage...
Darren Fielder
Rod Hobson

Eastern Spinebill - Glen Lomond Park, 16/09/06

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Eastern Spinebills are still about Toowoomba - I recorded the species last Saturday morning (16.09.06) about 10.30am, along the Bridle Trail abutting Glen Lomond Park, SE Toowoomba. Grey Fantails there as well.

Also found a freshly killed Long-nosed Bandicoot (Paremeles nasuta) during my walk. Cause of death unknown but looked as if the perpetrator could have been a straying dog?

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Bill Jolly

Eastern Spinebill

Post by Bill Jolly »

A Spinebill busy feeding at the foot of Upper Flagstone Creek Road on Friday, 15 September, close to the junction with Flagstone Creek Road.

Bill Jolly
Logeah

Eastern Spinebills

Post by Logeah »

Still around in Girraween as of yesterday, if that's any help!
Cheers
Sandra
Mick Atzeni

Eastern Spinebill and others: 2007 DDD's

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Don't know about the rest of you, but I've found Eastern Spinebills pretty scarce this season, particularly around home (Rangeville area). If you're not seeing them , you often hear them, but that hasn't been the case.

Anyway, have had a spinebill visit my yard the past two days, which is as good a reason as any to remind everyone we're interested in establishing how long migrants species are in our area. Now that Spring is approaching, let's kick off the Winter 2007 DDD's (departure date determinations!!).

If you can better today's date (2/8/07) for an Eastern Spinebill, please post the details.

Let's also do DDD's for Rose Robin, Red-capped Robin, Western Gerygone and Golden Whistler.

And because they've turned up this winter and been the focus of a lot of attention, let's include two others - Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater & White-plumed Honeyeater.

Any others you want to track?
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Last for 2008?

Post by Mick Atzeni »

There's been a dearth of sightings this year - I still haven't seen one - but John Gibson tells me they were present on Sunday 24.08.08 at Rob & Barbara Learmonth's property in Niddrie Drive, Middle Ridge, which backs on to Glen Lomond Park.
Michael Atzeni
Barb Learmonth

Eastern spinebill

Post by Barb Learmonth »

Last saw a spinebill in the garden at Niddrie Drive on 14/9/08. Haven't seen or heard any since
Barb Learmonth
Mick Atzeni

2011 departure of Eastern Spinebills

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Plenty of flowering grevilleas still but haven't seen or heard a spinebill at the Learmonth's Niddrie Drive home for about two weeks. They left some time after 24 Aug; I think Russell Jenkins scared them away with his big Nikon lens.

Any recent sightings elsewhere??

Mick

Return to “Going, going, gone ...”