Musk Lorikeets

aka DDDs (Departure Date Determinations). When migrants return, we delight in claiming the "First for the season". So why is it that we don't place equal emphasis on claiming the "Last for the season"? Well we all know why. It's too darn hard. Unless we religiously keep a diary of our sightings and then compare notes in the off-season to determine whose was the last sighting, how would we do it? Well now I think I know: provide another avenue for some one-up-manship on a public forum! If you've bettered the last date, please set the record straight ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Musk Lorikeets

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Musk Lorikeets have been numerous and conspicuous at the DPI&F Tor St complex for about 6mo but I hadn't seen one all September until yesterday. What's the situation elsewhere around Toowoomba? Highfields?

A Peregrine Falcon, and later a Brown Falcon, seen over DPI&F the previous day.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Musk Lorikeets

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Very quiet these days lorikeet-wise around work. A few Rainbows, and the occasional Scaly-breasted.

After a mini resurgence of Musk Lorikeets in September- November, I'd say they were all gone by mid-December. They use to call and gather briefly around 5pm in the dead crown of a small eucalypt visible from my office, absolutely aglow in the afternoon sunshine. Beautiful birds! - a nice way to end the working day, but alas no longer!

The good news is they'll be back in droves around early-April. Can't wait.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Going, going, gone ...”