Temporary new patch

Do you keep a monthly record for your favourite patch? If so, why not share the info real-time and literally put your patch on the map? Using the template under this heading you have the vehicle for displaying your monthly records for those places you bird regularly e.g. your backyard, neighbourhood, local park. Just how good is your patch? What can we learn from your monthly records?

Let's find out ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Temporary new patch

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

I'm living back up in Toowoomba for time being in the home of fellow members Rob & Barb Learmonth. Their Middle Ridge home backs on to Glen Lomond Park, a council bushland reserve situated on the southern end of the Toowoomba escarpment. Many will recall the discovery of Swift Parrots in Glen Lomond Park in 2000 by Al Young, which brought birders from near and far. Hoping for a repeat performance this year.

Change in habitat opens the door for species I haven't seen much of the past two years while living at Upper Lockyer. Interesting regulars include Satin Bowerbird and Wonga Pigeon: two I never recorded at "Tiddalac".

Following is the list of species I've recorded since arriving:

Australian Brush-Turkey
Brown Goshawk
Australian Hobby
Wonga Pigeon
White-headed Pigeon
Spotted Dove
Brown Cuckoo-Dove
Crested Pigeon
Bar-shouldered Dove
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo
Galah
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Little Lorikeet
Australian King-Parrot
Pale-headed Rosella
Southern Boobook
Tawny Frogmouth
Laughing Kookaburra
Spotted Pardalote
Striated Pardalote
White-browed Scrubwren
Brown Thornbill
Blue-faced Honeyeater
Noisy Miner
Lewin's Honeyeater
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
White-naped Honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater
Eastern Yellow Robin
Eastern Whipbird
Golden Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Leaden Flycatcher
Magpie-lark
Grey Fantail
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Cicadabird
Grey Butcherbird
Pied Butcherbird
Australian Magpie
Pied Currawong
Torresian Crow
Satin Bowerbird
Regent Bowerbird
Common Myna

Watch this space :D

Mick
Last edited by Mick Atzeni on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mick Atzeni

Some additions, and one that got away ...

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Left to off a couple. Brush Cuckoos were around early March but appear to have moved on. I also heard a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo mid-March.

Today I saw my first Superb Fairy-wrens and Scarlet Honeyeaters for here, though have been hearing the feeble single note of the latter for a week now and just wanted to be sure. They seem to be building up their numbers too.

Heard an unusual dove call from dense grove of trees next door last Sunday. Unable to track it down - just called the once - but possibly a Rose-crowned Fruit-dove.

Looks as though the Satin Bowerbirds are going to build a bower near the water bath, now that the yard has been dog-free for over a month. Hope so. Free entertainment. Might pick up some tips. :D
Mick Atzeni

Raptors

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Can add Peregrine Falcon and Collared Sparrowhawk to the list. The former circled overhead on Friday morning and the latter landed in one of the gums on Sunday morning. Shortly afterwards I photographed a Brown Goshawk overhead.

Willie Wagtail here last week too; another new one.

It's all happening :D
Mick Atzeni

More, more, more plus possible Red Goshawk.

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Ticks are coming thick and fast over the Easter break. Also good to see a male Regent Bowerbird just now; had only seen females/immature males until today.

List is now up to 64 species. Have added:

Wedge-tailed Eagle 22/4
Pacific Baza (pair) 22/4
Rock Dove 22/4
Silvereye 23/4
Rose Robin (male) 23/4
Noisy Friarbird 23/4
Olive-backed Oriole (an immature) 23/4
Brown Falcon 23/4
Mistletoebird 23/4

Most tantalising sighting though was a possible Red Goshawk on Saturday 22/4. Unfortunately, my camera malfunctioned and the 4-5 flight shots I thought I had, I don't, so it will remain a possible. :(

Anyway, keep your eyes peeled if you're in the Glen Lomond Park area - or anywhere along the Toowoomba escarpment for that matter - and have your camera ready ... and working.

Cheers
Mick
Mick Atzeni

Eastern Spinebill

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Eastern Spinebill on 1/5 is the latest addition to my list. This was an immature bird.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Lorikeet quadrella, and more newies

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Scored the four local lorikeets this morning - Little, Rainbow, Scaly-breasted and Musk (2) visiting flowering gums in yard, and added three more species to the yard list, namely, the muskies, along with Red Wattlebird and Figbird.

An Eastern Spinebill has been present the past two days. Good views of it and Scarlet Honeyeaters in the the flowering grevilleas this morning. Life's simple blessings.

Cheers
Mick
Mick Atzeni

Grey-crowned Babblers

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Another yard tick.

Last Monday (18th), was delighted to have a party of Grey-crowned Babblers busying their way through the front yard as if there was no tomorrow. Could watch babblers all day.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Australian Pelican and four species of raptor

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Plaxy Barratt, Russell Jenkins and I were having a cuppa in the yard after a short birdwatch this morning when Plax drew our attention to a couple of pelicans circling in the distance; a new one for yard list.

Russell then had the enviable task of staying all day at my place, while I went to work, to take photos and see what raptors flew over. He came up with Brown Falcon, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Peregrine Falcon and Grey Goshawk, in that order. The Grey Goshawk was also new for yard list.

Well done Russ! :-)

Cheers
Mick
Mick Atzeni

Two more the yard lsit

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Two Rainbow Bee-eaters flew over the yard this morning, perhaps seeking some fresh: air as there's a bit of a smoke haze due to a fire in the Lockyer Valley. Other than that, a perfect day for the Carnival of Flowers.

Other new bird was Channel-billed Cuckoo as I reported recently under Spring Within.

Expect to add more over the next couple of weeks with the return of the migrants. Watch this space ...

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

White-browed and Masked Woodswallows over Middle Ridge

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Well, didn't have to wait very long; a mixed flock of Masked and White-browed Woodswallows flew over at 3pm, both new for the yard list - and the year. (See my comments under the Challenge 2011)

Also, another squadron of pelicans came over at exactly the same time as the woodswallows appeared, this time about 40 of them (10 earlier this week; 2 late August).

First koel for season heard at home around 5:15pm too.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni

Return to “My Patch - Monthly records”