Westbrook

Do you keep a monthly record for your favourite patch? If so, why not share the info real-time and literally put your patch on the map? Using the template under this heading you have the vehicle for displaying your monthly records for those places you bird regularly e.g. your backyard, neighbourhood, local park. Just how good is your patch? What can we learn from your monthly records?

Let's find out ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Christopher

Westbrook

Post by Christopher »

Hi Ho Folks,

Been around for a few months now and only just found this section, which is as good a section as any to say gidday and list what I've seen in my backyard ... a house block in Westbrook.

We've lived here for 10+ years but only in the last few have bird numbers really improved as the trees in the district have grown and matured. When we first moved here there was next to nothing, most birds being grass finches and the like. A lot of them have gone and we have far more parrots, honeteaters and fig birds etc.

So, considering the barren nature of the place, we are quite happy with what we have seen either literally in our back yard, flying directly overhead or we've heard them call. There would be a handful more that I have seen while walking the dog, but I haven't listed them.

Torresian Crow
Willy Wagtail
Australian Magpie
Magpie Lark – (Peewee)
Pied Currawong
Grey Butcher-bird
Pied Butcher-bird
Crested Pigeon (nested)
White-faced Heron
Superb Blue Fairy Wren (nested)
White-browed Scrubwren
Brown Honey-eater
Zebra Finch
Silvereye
Galah
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Pale-headed Rosella
Rainbow Lorikeet
Cockatiel
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Red-winged Parrot
Budgerigar
Red-rumped Parrot
Australian kestrel
Tawny Frogmouth
Southern Boobook
Barn owl
Laughing kookaburra
Azure Kingfisher
White-winged Triller
Noisy Miner
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Noisy Friarbird
Little Friarbird
Figbird
Blue-faced Honey-eater
Red-tailed Black Cockatoo (overhead)
Wedge-tail Eagle (overhead)
Channel-billed Cuckoo (overhead)
Common Koel (overhead)
Cattle Egret (overhead)
Pheasant Coucal (call)

Introduced Species
House Sparrow
Spotted Turtledove (nested)
Feral Pigeon
Common Mynah
Common Starling
Canary (the neighbour's pet spent an afternoon in our yard he he he)

Cheers
Christopher
Pat McConnell

Westbrook

Post by Pat McConnell »

Good list Christopher. Budgerigar and Red-winged Parrot are very good sightings locally. Have you got a date for those particular records? Thanks Pat.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Hi Ho Folks,

My bad for a stunningly late reply ... and not really worth waiting for either. Sadly I can't tell you much at all about the time frame for either but both would be "years ago".

However, what has finally got me to reply is the change in birdlife out Westbrook way. Just in the last few weeks, be it here or further west towards Biddeston, I have noticed a substantial increase in quail numbers; both groups and numbers within a group (sometimes as many as seven).

This has got me thinking, and hopeful, that with the breaking of the drought there is a lot more native grass/seed about and so these sorts of birds will return. Many of the finches we only saw nearly a decade ago in good times.

So maybe, just maybe, we will see a return of grass feeders this Summer.

Again, apologies for the tardiness. I will endeavour to return more regularly.

Cheers
Christopher
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Hi Ho Folks,

I can add Little Corella to my backyard list. For a couple of weeks a small flock (4-6) have been hanging around in Westbrook. Yesterday afternoon they finally flew over my backyard. All very nice indeed.

Cheers
Christopher

Return to “My Patch - Monthly records”