Update on our Sacred Kingfishers at Kleinton

Do you keep a monthly record for your favourite patch? If so, why not share the info real-time and literally put your patch on the map? Using the template under this heading you have the vehicle for displaying your monthly records for those places you bird regularly e.g. your backyard, neighbourhood, local park. Just how good is your patch? What can we learn from your monthly records?

Let's find out ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Brendon & Judi Gray

Update on our Sacred Kingfishers at Kleinton

Post by Brendon & Judi Gray »

Last weekend, witnessed something quite extraordinary from the small Sacred Kingfishers that have nests in old termite mounds on Ironbark trees at our Kleinton Property.

While filling up containters to water our trees, I could here the kingfishers making an awful lot of noise and really carrying on. I walked down to where the noise was coming from and saw a huge Goanna climbing the ironbark tree to their nest. I ran down, thinking I would have to scare this huge goanna off so it didn't destroy the kingfisher nest, but i didn't need to.

I watched in amazement as kingfishers from other trees all flew over to see what was happening and just one was swooping the goanna constantly and squarking at it loudly to scare it off and amazingly it worked, the goanna turned around and retreated back to its pile of logs to hide in. I managed to get a good photo of the goanna coming down the tree with the kingfisher in the background about to swoop it again. Very impressive for such a small bird to have so much courage I thought. this goanna was the biggest one I have ever seen in my life!

Return to “My Patch - Monthly records”