Spring 2015 arrivals

No species, time or boundary restrictions here. Just share what you'd like to, or fire any questions.
Mick Atzeni

Spring 2015 arrivals

Post by Mick Atzeni »

First Sacred Kingfisher for the season this morning (8th Sep) at home (Murphys Creek).

Orioles and figbirds have moved into the area over the past week. Noticeable increase in Little Friarbirds around home too.

Spangled Drongos—an altitudinal migrant in SEQ—were present along Sawpit Gully Rd, Rockmount, on the TBO outing, 29th Aug; unusually early I would think (unless they overwintered). Rainbow Bee-eaters in reasonable numbers at Rockmount too.

Kev Williams and I saw a Lathams' Snipe at Lockyer on 15th Aug.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Re: Spring 2015 arrivals

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Elsie Dallinger reported the first Koel for the season, which she heard at Gatton today.
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Post by Mick Atzeni »

My first Channel-bill for the season, this morning (15/9) at home.

A Southern Boobook has been calling since 9/9. Hadn't seen or heard one for months.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
Bill Jolly

Post by Bill Jolly »

Well Michael, you beat us by about a week with your first Sacred Kingfisher!

Everything else here is courting and nesting like mad, including a pair of Leaden Flycatchers putting on a performance every day - and the Black Swans that nested here last March, have built another nest next to the old one and already produced their first egg only five months after hatching a cygnet in April!

All three fairy-wren species are in full plumage and courting, only the Variegated went into eclipse but they're coloured up again now. And a couple of days ago I saw a male Superb carrying a yellow petal to help him with his wooing - it's always yellow with Superbs and Red with Red-backed.

Bill
(I found my password!)
Mick Atzeni

Post by Mick Atzeni »

The Sacred Kingfishers are nesting in the yard in the same arboreal termite mound as last year. Tawny Frogmouths nesting in the same tree as the kingfishers, in the same spot as last year too!

Recorded my first Koel for the season yesterday (3/10).

Spangled Drongo and a pair of Great Crested Grebes seen on private property near the jail at Adare 2/10.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Kev Williams and I recorded 44 species in the bottom end of Redwood Park this morning including Rufous Fantail, Spectacled Monarch and Leaden Flycatcher. No sign of Black-faced Monarchs though.

Other nice birds were Regent Bowerbird, lots of White-naped Honeyaters—including juveniles, Brown-headed Honeyeaters (unusual for Redwood), Large-billed Scrubwren and Brown Gerygone.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
Mick Atzeni

Post by Mick Atzeni »

My first Dollarbird this Spring today, between Harlaxton and Mt Kynoch. Peter Vernon informed me the Dollarbirds arrived at his Hirstglen property on 17th Oct and have taken up same nest site as in previous years. Kev Williams reported one at Highfields about a week ago.

Peter Vernon also had his first Restless Flycatcher for 12 months on 18/10, and first Red-chested Button-quail (a male) for season on 31 August.

Pair of Pacific Bazas over home this morning; presumably the same pair I saw performing courtship flight on 23/9. Photographed one over home 12/10. Saw another one over Ballard 16/10.

Cheers,
Mick
Michael Atzeni

Return to “Talking about birds ...”