Our first sighting of white-throated needletails

Migrant arrival dates are always a hot topic, particularly, the spring/summer migrants.

Think you've seen the first for the season? Post details here and let's see if you're right ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Wes & Norma Sturdee

Our first sighting of white-throated needletails

Post by Wes & Norma Sturdee »

On 21st November while outside in back yard of our home in Muir Street, Wes and I observed our first sighting of white-throated needletails for this season, a flock of between 20 to 30 birds soaring quite high at time, then diving lower to pursue insects.
Our last sighting of these birds last year was prior to a severe thunderstorm, and we were disappointed that did not eventuate this time.
Mick Atzeni

White-throated Needletails 26/11

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Thanks Norma & Wes. I'd encourage others to report swift sightings too as their whereabouts and numbers at any time are of considerable interest to other birders.

Finally, saw a flock of 50+ this morning along Prince Henry Drive hawking along the Toowoomba escarpment. First I've seen this season ... normally would expect to have seen them by late October - early November. They do seem to be a little late this year. Do others agree??

Alas, no sign of a storm front behind them. Just blue sky in every direction. :cry:

Regards
Michael
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “They're back!”