Pied Currawongs, Sulphur-crested Cockatoos

Migrant arrival dates are always a hot topic, particularly, the spring/summer migrants.

Think you've seen the first for the season? Post details here and let's see if you're right ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Pied Currawongs, Sulphur-crested Cockatoos

Post by Mick Atzeni »

I know these two species can be seen all year locally but as we approach autumn I have noticed a significant increase in numbers around home (Rangeville) of both species. The currawongs are quite noticeable as they are traveling in loose flocks.

I've never really taken notice when this flocking behaviour starts each year, or for how long it lasts.

Is it the same happening elsewhere around the local area?

Let's see if we can learn a bit more about these two species locally.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Michael Wood

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo increase

Post by Michael Wood »

This is something I too have noticed, particularly with the sulphur-crested cockatoo around Gold Street, Toowoomba South. As for the pied currawong, things seem to have fluctuated little, although they were quite numerous in late Autumn of last year.
Michael Wood
Fielded

Sulphur-crested Cockies

Post by Fielded »

As far as the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos are concerned, there is a resident flock of around 18-20 birds in Flagstone Creek valley. They regularly act as my alarm clock at day break when they fly into the trees outside my bedroom window and start their screeching.

I'd have to say that these guys are around all year.

Darren.
Darren Fielder

Return to “They're back!”