First Spangled Drongo?

Migrant arrival dates are always a hot topic, particularly, the spring/summer migrants.

Think you've seen the first for the season? Post details here and let's see if you're right ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

rossb

First Spangled Drongo?

Post by rossb »

My Mum and I went for a short visit to Pohlman's Nursery off the highway near Gatton on the 10th of August and to my surprise I saw a Spangled Drongo and when we talked to the lady who worked there she said it had been at the Nursery for a while :shock: .I didn't expect to see one of them at this time of year. Please tell me if it is normal to see them around here at winter? And also if it is a new one of the spring/summer species please.

Dan Begent.
Mick Atzeni

Winter Drongo in the Lockyer

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Dan

They are an altitudinal migrant arriving in Spring and departing in Autumn. It's highly unusual to see a drongo around Toowomba in Winter - I can't recall any records - and I'd say that also applies for the Lockyer Valley. Will get Pat, our trusty Records Officer, to check the annual monthly records for you. Perhaps, there has been the odd one around Helidon.

I suspect your bird isn't an early arrival. It just probably never left the Valley in autumn. Bet it wish it had though! Definitely a drongo to pick this winter to hang around!!

Cheers
Mick
Last edited by Mick Atzeni on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat McConnell

Spangled Drongo

Post by Pat McConnell »

Dan hello. Spangled Drongo records are rare locally during the winter months. In the first 25 years of the Club they have only been recorded nine times in the months of May, June, July and August combined with most of those records in May (two in June, two in July and one in August).
birdcrazy

Drongo

Post by birdcrazy »

Thanks for the help Mr McConnel and Michael.

Perhaps the Drongo will leave in summer instead of winter :lol:
Dan Begent
Mick Atzeni

SPangled Drongo

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Dan

I note Pat saw his fist Spangled Drongo for the season on 6/10/07 at his Highfields home.

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Spangled Drongos

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Saw three Spangled Drongos this morning (16/8/08) along the Spinach Creek Rd, Fordsdale (Grid S3), which is south of Helidon. This is the first time I've birded along this road. It morphs into Sawpit Gully Rd (not sure where - no sign!) which joins the Rockmount Rd at Deverton.

Some nice habitat all along, particularly the Deverton end where there's good stands of vine scrub.

Given Record Officer Pat's earlier comments above, seems drongos have arrived quite early this year.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “They're back!”