Squatter Pigeon, Emu (Peter Jesser)

Why should the locals have all the fun? To give those of you who don't live in the Toowoomba area an incentive to report your sightings and strut your stuff, here's a challenge especially for you! 250 species collectively in a season. The survey area we'll make anywhere within 250 km of Toowoomba, but excluding the TBO survey area. I've set a higher, but very fair target as well. See how you go. Locals can help with the 'outside' tally too and vice versa. Looking forward to some new names on the forum!

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Squatter Pigeon, Emu (Peter Jesser)

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Some correspondence (22.02.07) from Peter who lives at "Ballincar" along Mosquito Rd, via Lake Coolmunda. The club plans to visit Peter's property later this year.
... I have seen squatter pigeons around the place at least three times in the past week. Families of emus every day. Interestingly, my neighbour, who is in her 70s and has lived on the place next door all her life, says that emus were once very uncommon. It is only in recent years that they have bred up. It is nice to have them but they are hell on fences. I think I saw the Azure Kingfisher on your list of birds yet to be collected this summer (surely they are not that uncommon?). Anyway, I have one resident along what is left of the creek at my place. It has been away from the creek and around the house a couple of times lately. That may be a sign that foraging is lean along the creek.

Incidentally, Canning Creek has started to run in the last week or so. They have had more rain up that way. Mosquito Creek is still a real horror story. My pool near the shed is still shrinking and starting to smell a bit. It is the only pool left on y 4 km frontage.

Cheers

Peter
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Summer target: 250 species BEYOND club survey area”