Bush Stone-curlew - cnr Boundary Rd/Beacon Crt, Toowoomba

Same rules apply as for the "250 in 2006" Challenge. Seems 250's no pushover locally, especially in a drought! Nevertheless, 250's achievable and will continue to remain our annual target. Report sightings ASAP for everyone's benefit.

And from now on we'll just refer to it as "The Challenge".

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Michael Wood

Bush Stone-curlew - cnr Boundary Rd/Beacon Crt, Toowoomba

Post by Michael Wood »

Dropped in to see whether the local Bush Stone-curlew was at its usual local spot and there it was, a single bird. It was standing in the shade beneath a fruit tree at the house on the corner.
Michael Wood
Bill Jolly

re: Bush Stone-curlew at Boundary Road

Post by Bill Jolly »

That's great news Michael!

I've been watching and photographing that bird pretty regularly for several years now, but I thought we'd finally lost it. I used to find it there probably one out of two visits, at something like monthly intervals, but I haven't seen it at any of its usual hangouts on about the last seven or eight visits.

I don't know where it's been hiding - but I'm delighted to learn that it's back!

Bill Jolly
Michael Wood

Stone-curlew movements

Post by Michael Wood »

Yes Bill, it's always nice to know that these birds are still around, for, as everyone no doubt knows, they get knocked around a lot. I suspect that this bird went missing over the spring and summer months possibly looking for a mate, maybe even finding one and possibly even nesting -I think they normally stick together when paired, though. Down south they do this every breeding season; they have one location for the non-breeding season and another for the breeding season, the birds being very loyal to these sites -there are exceptions, of-course.
Michael Wood
Mick Atzeni

Bush Stone-Curlew

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Still there in the usual spot this morning.

Never tire of seeing this particular bird given I've only seen one other locally. That was several years ago along the Old Goombungee Rd on the outskirts of Harlaxton. I think it only hung around for about a week.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “The Challenge - 2007”