White-plumed Honeyeaters - 1; Swift Parrots - Nil

Same rules apply as for the "250 in 2006" Challenge. Seems 250's no pushover locally, especially in a drought! Nevertheless, 250's achievable and will continue to remain our annual target. Report sightings ASAP for everyone's benefit.

And from now on we'll just refer to it as "The Challenge".

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

White-plumed Honeyeaters - 1; Swift Parrots - Nil

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Following reported sightings of Swift Parrots in the local area recently, took a quick stroll in Glen Lomond Park this morning (from Dorge St entrance) to check out the state of the blossom on the Yellow Box in which the Swift Parrots were regularly seen feeding when they visited Glen Lomond a few winters ago.

While there's plenty of bud, not much blossom was evident yet. I only saw a couple of Musk and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets so it is probably too early there for the Swift Parrots, if they're planning to revisit the area. (I'm banking on their apparent loyalty to certain areas).

However, at the top of the rise in a Yellow Box I did see a few Yellow-faced and Lewin's Honeyeaters and to my great surprise a new species for the club's official list if accepted - a single White-plumed Honeyeater feeding quietly amongst the foliage, and also on flowering mistletoe in the same Yellow Box. Time was around 9:20am and observed it for about 10 minutes. During that whole time it never called, so if you're chasing it scan all honeyeaters carefully as it would be easily overlooked.

Other species recorded: Wedge-tailed Eagle, Noisy Miner, Pale-headed Rosella, Brown Thornbill, Eastern Whipbird, Eastern Yellow Robin, Spotted Pardalotes, Speckled Warblers, Brown-headed and White-naped Honeyeaters, and Satin Bowerbirds.

An Unusual/Rare Bird Report will be submitted to the Records Officer for the White-plumed Honeyeater.

Please keep your eyes and ears peeled for Swift Parrots and report all sightings, even if unsure. Hopefully, we'll track them down again this winter and everyone will get a chance to see them.

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Michael Wood

WPHE Still There!

Post by Michael Wood »

Visited Glen Lomond this morning (23rd May) and found the White-plumed Honeyeater in exactly the spot Mick pointed out. Strangely, not a single call from the bird. Maybe it was trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible so as not to draw attention to itself and thus be chased off. To a southerner this lack of voice from the species is almost unheard of.
Michael Wood

Return to “The Challenge - 2007”