Mallards

Same rules apply as for the "250 in 2006" Challenge. Seems 250's no pushover locally, especially in a drought! Nevertheless, 250's achievable and will continue to remain our annual target. Report sightings ASAP for everyone's benefit.

And from now on we'll just refer to it as "The Challenge".

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Bill Jolly

Mallards

Post by Bill Jolly »

A Mallard drake and two females or immatures have been on Lockyer Creek around Murphy Bridge at Helidon for a few weeks now.

I first saw them on 17 June, and they were still around on 1 July.

It's the best-looking drake Mallard I've seen in Australia, and in the absence of anything that points otherwise, I guess these three can be regarded as living in the wild - and tickable!

So, new for the 2007 challenge, and new for the current Winter list too.

Bill Jolly
Mick Atzeni

Mallard proving to be my bogey bird!

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Have had three trips now to Murphys Bridge (Back Flagstone Ck Rd, Helidon) to add Mallard to my local life list and have dipped every time! Starting to get embarrassing.

Anyway, this morning I was more than compensated when I caught up with the platypus which both Bill Jolly and Dan Begent have seen there recently. In fact, I saw two of them and had marvellous views of one as it lingered within spitting distance either side of the bridge for a few minutes.

While I have seen platypus a few times in the past, mostly at the Helidon Picnic Area, these were the best views I've had by far.

Definitely, one of my more memorable mammal moments!

Worth chasing that Mallard again? Mmmmm...
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “The Challenge - 2007”