Striped Marshfrog - Rangeville

It's not their fault they don't have feathers! Doesn't make them any less interesting. And just like the birds, it's good to know what species are about locally at any given time.

There's expertise within the club and beyond on most aspects of our local fauna. Let's tap into it.
Mick Atzeni

Striped Marshfrog - Rangeville

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Neighbour brought over a frog in a bucket of water yesterday wanting to make sure it wasn't a cane toad. Turned out to be a Striped Marshfrog. Not sure how common they are around Toowoomba but probably only the third one I've seen in or near my yard in 12 years.

We get the occasional Green Tree Frog and I've seen a couple of dead Cane Toads on Perth St, but that's about it for amphibians in my patch.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Rod Hobson

Striped Marsh Frog

Post by Rod Hobson »

Mick,

The Striped Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes peronii) is probably one of Toowoomba's most common of frogs. They're calling at present. In the last week or so I've heard them at the Alderley Street Waterbird Habitat, in Garnet Lehmann Park and at Baillie Henderson. Yesterday they were calling in Mac's Pond and Lake Lenore on the UQ campus at Gatton.

Whilst on the subject of Lake Lenore (and Lake Galletly), yesterday I also saw quite a number of the magnificent little blue Lycaenid butterfly, the Satin Azure (Ogyris amaryllis amaryllis) around the Bull Oaks (Allocasuarina luehmannii) on the lakes' shores. The dorsal surface of this butterfly is a beautiful rich blue; quite conspicuous during its flitting flight pattern. Mistletoes that use the Bull Oak as host are, in turn, host to the Satin Azure's larvae. These butterflies are well worth a look at if you're in the area in the immediate future - lovely insects.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Gatton Frog ID

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Thanks Rod. Clearly, I'm more in tune to the birds around here!

Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians & Bugs”