He died with a smile on his face

It's not their fault they don't have feathers! Doesn't make them any less interesting. And just like the birds, it's good to know what species are about locally at any given time.

There's expertise within the club and beyond on most aspects of our local fauna. Let's tap into it.
Rod Hobson

He died with a smile on his face

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

After work yesterday (16.07.2010) I went for a walk down the Redwood Forest Walk to Gatton Creek then back up to Bridge Street. On this walk I found a freshly dead male Yellow-footed Antechinus (Antechinus flavipes) on the trackside about half way to Gatton Creek. This little carnivorous marsupial is common in Redwood. Winter is mating time for the Yellow-footed Antechinus; a fortnight of heightened frenzy for the males, which subsequently pay the ultimate price for this short interlude of unbridled passion.

After a gestation period of 30 days followed by a weaning period of about three months the female of this species is rid of her 8-12 youngsters around Christmas. The dispersing young go about their business until breeding season in early July in the local animals (mid-September in northern populations). At this time the now mature males become very aggressive and partake in a mating frenzy that kills them after approximately a fortnight of this 'licentious' behaviour. Death is due to a break down in body processes complicated by secondary infections. The primary cause of mortality is believed to be from internal bleeding of gastrointestinal ulcers complicated by degeneration in liver and kidney function (McAllan 2003).

Reproductive synchronisation in these animals is believed to be linked to the photoperiodic cycle and is a constant at geographical locations over succeeding years. All males are dead well before the birth of young. This strategy is believed to reduce competition for food for nursing females and young; the ultimate display of Nature's sacrifice of the individual for the benefit of the species. It has also been suggested that male mortality could also be a consequence of males attempting to maximise reproductive success by putting all their efforts into this intense period of mating activity. Irrespective of the reasons for this annual mortality in sexually mature males antechinus are a very successful group of little animals.

Yesterday was the second time that I've found freshly dead Yellow-footed Antechinus males in Redwood Park at this time of year.

What a way to go. Sure beats ten years in an old folks' home.

Reference: McAllan, B. in Jones, M., Dickman, C. & Archer, M. (Eds) (2003). "Timing of reproduction in carnivorous marsupials" in "Predators with Pouches - The Biology of Carnivorous Marsupials", CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Last edited by Rod Hobson on Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brendon & Judi Gray

Antechinus

Post by Brendon & Judi Gray »

Unfortunately I have only seen dead ones also. Often seen dead on the road either late at night or early morning, however they are never there for long as something comes and cleans them up. I have stopped and looked at them a couple of times. We most likely would have them living here, but do not see them only have had one sighting this year and that was so quick, it was hard to be sure. Great article :D
Brendon & Judi Gray

Yellow-Footed Antechinus

Post by Brendon & Judi Gray »

Well I have a confirmed sighting now of the Yellow-Footed Antechinus at our place at Kleinton. While having "catch em alive" mouse traps set to catch mice for a Kookaburra I had in care, I ended up with a Yellow-Footed Antechinus instead. On inspection it had around 10 babies in its pouch! I have added a link to my blog where you can see the photos.

.://judithgray.blogspot.com/2010/10/ ... hinus.html

Very exciting find, and she was very happy to be released and I am sure quite pleased she wasn't a mouse on this day!

Return to “Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians & Bugs”