Graceful treefrog calling in our backyard, east Toowoomba

It's not their fault they don't have feathers! Doesn't make them any less interesting. And just like the birds, it's good to know what species are about locally at any given time.

There's expertise within the club and beyond on most aspects of our local fauna. Let's tap into it.
Robert Ashdown

Graceful treefrog calling in our backyard, east Toowoomba

Post by Robert Ashdown »

Graceful tree frog (Litoria gracilenta) calling in our backyard, Mary Street, east Toowoomba, Thursday 27/10/2011, just before storms. First time I have heard this frog in this part of Toowoomba since moving here nearly ten years ago. Have heard that they've turned up over the last year in other parts of Toowoomba after the heavy rains.

Prior to moving here I lived in the bayside area of Brisbane, and would hear them each summer. They would call from a mango tree in the backyard in the eerie, humid silence before big storms, a real mark of the onset of summer storm season. After heavy rain a large congregation would always start up a loud chorus from a small local creek/low-lying area, they could be heard clearly from several hundred metres. I would often sneak down there late an night and photograph them. One of the photos ended up being used by the Brisbane City Council on their posters and website when this frog was declared as Brisbane's faunal emblem. Ironically, and sadly for me, the area was cleared and filled for another high-density housing development, and so an iconic part of my local suburban summer came to an end.

Return to “Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians & Bugs”