Snakes everywhere

It's not their fault they don't have feathers! Doesn't make them any less interesting. And just like the birds, it's good to know what species are about locally at any given time.

There's expertise within the club and beyond on most aspects of our local fauna. Let's tap into it.
Pat McConnell

Snakes everywhere

Post by Pat McConnell »

While Kath and I were checking out the water bodies of the Lockyer Valley on Thursday 26 January we saw the following snakes. Unfortunately all but one were road killed.
On Greater Green Swamp Road near Lake Clarendon we saw three Red-bellied Black Snakes and a Green Tree Snake. One of the Red-bellied Black Snakes was alive.
We also saw an Eastern Brown Snake on Lester's Road near where the Blue-winged Kookaburra is sometimes seen and a Green Tree Snake at Ballard.
An Eastern Small-eyed Snake was brought into USQ for identification on Wednesday 25 January. It was from the eastern end of South Street. USQ Campus has had three Eastern Brown Snakes so far this year. I have also seen at least five Eastern Browns along Old Goombungee Road while driving to and from work in the last two months and I saw a photograph of a large Eastern Brown that was taken near the Waterbird Habitat just before Christmas. Add to this a Spotted Black Snake at Cambooya, an Eastern Brown at Maidenwell and a Marsh Snake in the backyard at Highfields and it has certainally been a good season for snakes. Crikey!

Return to “Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians & Bugs”