Water Rat @ Lake Apex

It's not their fault they don't have feathers! Doesn't make them any less interesting. And just like the birds, it's good to know what species are about locally at any given time.

There's expertise within the club and beyond on most aspects of our local fauna. Let's tap into it.
rossb

Water Rat @ Lake Apex

Post by rossb »

Mum and I saw a grey Water Rat swimming in and out of the dead trees at Lake Apex, in the corner closest to the historical village.

Dan Begent
Pat McConnell

Water Rat

Post by Pat McConnell »

Good sighting Dan. I have never seen Water Rats there so well done. I have seen them at Cooby Dam but that was a long time ago. Another place I have recorded them was at Myal Creek at Dalby. It is good to see they are still around despite the drought.
birdcrazy

Thanks

Post by birdcrazy »

Thanks Mr McConnel good to know.

I had never seen one before so I was very excited.
Dan Begent
Rod Hobson

Water-rats at Gatton Apex Lake

Post by Rod Hobson »

Dan,

Forgive this belated reply to your posting about the Water-rat (Hydromys chrysogaster) at Gatton Apex Lake in August last year. I was leafing through my fieldbooks last night when I stumbled on this record. On the 10.06.06 I was birdwatching around the lake when I found a large adult female Water-rat, a few day's dead and floating in the waterside vegetation on the western edge of the lake. It was my first record of the species for that waterbody. Given your find as well it would seem that there is a population of this great native rodent in the lake.

Near Toowoomba I've fairly recent records of the rat from Oakey Creek at Bowenville. Locally I've recorded it in Gowrie Creek near the junction of Mort and Bridge Streets, on the site of the old tannery and car wreckers. I've also seen it at the North Street crossing of Gowrie Creek in recent times.

Gatton Apex Lake has turned up some very odd creatures over the years. When it was drying up in summer 1994 we relocated 29 Queensland Lungfish (Neoceratodus fosteri) from the lake; a most peculiar find.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Last edited by Rod Hobson on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Hobson

The Water-rat at Alderley Street

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Last Wednesday, 10th September while conducting a group of school children around the Alderley Street Waterbird Habitat we found several freshwater mussel shells that had been gnawed by Water-rats. This shell midden is the first evidence that I've had for this great native survivor from this place.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians & Bugs”