Mountain Katydid (Acripeza reticulata) data sought

It's not their fault they don't have feathers! Doesn't make them any less interesting. And just like the birds, it's good to know what species are about locally at any given time.

There's expertise within the club and beyond on most aspects of our local fauna. Let's tap into it.
Rod Hobson

Mountain Katydid (Acripeza reticulata) data sought

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Not an avian request, however if anyone can give me locations and details of any sightings of the Mountain Katydid (Acripeza reticulata) it would be greatly appreciated. This bizarre little insect, a type of grasshopper, has declined alarmingly around Toowoomba over the last decade and we are trying to gauge if this is only a local trend or more insidious across its range. Locally it used to be very common in the Kangaroo Grass (Themeda australis) and Black Spear Grass (Heteropogon contortus) grasslands on the 'saddle' between Camel's Hump and Mount Table Top near Toowoomba, SEQ.

Thank you.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Report (Greg Lukes)

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Hi Rod.

We spotted a Mountain Katydid (Acripeza reticulata) at Neurum Creek Bush Retreat near Woodford Qld 15/3/08 while we were camping there recently.

Neurum Creek Bush Retreat [admin@breakawaycamping.com.au]

.://..ncbr.com.au

I hope that this is helpful.

Greg Lukes

FEP
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Moutain Katydid at Upper Lockyer

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Rod

While walking along the rapidly rising Murphy's Creek at "Tiddalac" this afternoon and watching various frogs, bugs and spiders seeking sanctuary, including a Giant Water Spider Megadolomedes australianus - a lifer, I found a Mountain Katydid - first one in the two years I've been here.

Took some photos for the record.

Cheers
Mick
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Brendon & Judi Gray

Mountain Katydid

Post by Brendon & Judi Gray »

We have had one here and it was in February 2010.
Brendon came across it when digging and re-mulching around the trees that we have planted down at the back of our place, it was burried rather deep in the existing mulch around the trees when he accidently disturbed it. He was impressed with it and we took some pics and left it where it was found. I have attached a link to some photos. We didn't know what it was at the time re identification, and asked a friend at the DPI, and they didn't know!! anyway I ended up finding it in a wildlife book. We havent seen one since, but that's not to say that they're not here.

.://judithgray.blogspot.com/2011/01/ ... fence.html
sburke

Re: Mountain Katydid

Post by sburke »

Hi Rod,

I found a Mountain Katydid in a large Banksia rose on my property here in Pioneer Street Toowoomba in 2008.

Cheers

Return to “Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians & Bugs”