Applethorpe blackbird record.

Just how many Common Blackbirds have infiltrated Toowoomba and surrounds? And whereabouts are they? To help control this latest threat, please post details of all positive and possible sightings (date, time, numbers, ->O, exact location, behaviour) here. If unsure about your ID, please provide a description of the features you noted ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Applethorpe blackbird record.

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Following information from TBO member Esther Townsend, I emailed Mark Harris at the Applethorpe DPI&F Research Centre recently who confirmed he'd seen a blackbird there as recently as October last year. Below is some further email correspondence:
Sent: Monday, 14 April 2008 10:16 AM
To: Atzeni, Michael
Subject: RE: Blackbird Enquiry

Michael
Sorry for the delay
Only noticed 1 male bird, first noticed about June 2007, feeding on White cedar seeds.
I have not heard of any more sightings, but have not asked around either.
No damage reported by the fruit growers around here that I have heard of.
Thanks
Mark

Sent: Monday, 7 April 2008 5:42 PM
To: Harris, Mark
Subject: RE: Blackbird Enquiry

G'day Mark

Thanks for getting back to me. A few questions:

How many birds did you see? Males? Females/juveniles?
What period of time were they present? When did you first see one there?
What were they feeding on?
Have you seen them elsewhere around there or have any of the farmers reported seeing them?
Has there been any damage due to blackbirds reported?

Regards
Michael
If you're in the Granite Belt keep your eye out for blackbirds and report all sightings please. While not a problem yet, if no controls are implemented there's every chance they will eventually become one for a number of horticultural industries in the area, particularly the grape, stone-fruit and berry growers.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Common Blackbirds”