Stanthorpe & Inverell sightings (Greg Ford)

Just how many Common Blackbirds have infiltrated Toowoomba and surrounds? And whereabouts are they? To help control this latest threat, please post details of all positive and possible sightings (date, time, numbers, ->O, exact location, behaviour) here. If unsure about your ID, please provide a description of the features you noted ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Stanthorpe & Inverell sightings (Greg Ford)

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Sent: Thursday, 2 October 2008 10:21 PM
To: Rod Hobson
Subject: blackbirds

G’day Rod

Just browsing the blackbirds forum on TBO website – linked from BASQ newsletter.

Thought you might be interested in two additional records…

September 21/22 2008 – “Bonaways Homestead” in Stanthorpe, south of Quart-Pot Creek; several birds heard calling in neighbourhood over 2 days; one female observed

September 27/28 2008 – Inverell, NSW; eastern end of Short St; at least two breeding pairs observed in vicinity of a couple of backyards; nests not found

The Inverell birds have been present around my parent’s home for about 10 years, initially as occasional visitors, then first nesting record in neighbour’s yard in about 2003/4; numbers seem to have increased markedly in last couple of years, with numerous individuals observed in the eastern portion of town (“Albion Hill” area) during my occasional visits. They’re a menace to my folks, due to the bird’s habit of foraging by “litter raking” through garden mulch, effortlessly redistributing said mulch onto lawns and paths and leaving garden beds bare!

Cheers

Greg Ford
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Common Blackbirds”