Blackbirds at St. George.

Just how many Common Blackbirds have infiltrated Toowoomba and surrounds? And whereabouts are they? To help control this latest threat, please post details of all positive and possible sightings (date, time, numbers, ->O, exact location, behaviour) here. If unsure about your ID, please provide a description of the features you noted ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Blackbirds at St. George.

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I just got an e-mail from Senior Ranger Richard Johnson, Queensland Parks and Wildlife, Roma regarding another sighting of Common Blackbirds at St. George. Early last week Richard saw three of the species in several gardens about the corner of Church Street and St. George Terrace. The party consisted of two males whilst the third was possibley a female bird. Richard, who has recorded this species in this same area previously believes that the presence of a second male bird might well be an indication that the species has bred in the area since his previous sighting. A failed breeding attempt has been recorded here before but crows are suspected of having raided the eggs.

Thanks for the update, Richard.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Mick Atzeni

Email from Dorothy Clews, St George

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Sent: Tuesday, 23 December 2008 11:02 AM
To: Atzeni, Michael
Cc: Richard.Johnson@epa.qld.gov.au
Subject: RE: blackbird

Hi Michael,

I have not seen two males at the same time, but one has certainly have been active proclaiming its territory. The female has been around in the garden at 10 The Terrace during the last fortnight with the male, not apparently feeding young or with a young bird that has fledged. Interesting that Richard has seen/ heard two males. I have not heard two males at the same time, but have heard the territorial song in two different areas, in our garden and over towards Church street, so will pay particular attention to see what is happening in the future.

Dorothy

Dorothy Clews
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Common Blackbirds”