Blackbird in the Mulga Lands (Craig Eddie)

Just how many Common Blackbirds have infiltrated Toowoomba and surrounds? And whereabouts are they? To help control this latest threat, please post details of all positive and possible sightings (date, time, numbers, ->O, exact location, behaviour) here. If unsure about your ID, please provide a description of the features you noted ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Blackbird in the Mulga Lands (Craig Eddie)

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Sent: Tuesday, 7 April 2009 11:20 AM

G’day All

Thought you guys might be interested to know that last week I recorded a male European blackbird at a property homestead (‘South Plains’) abt 75km SW of Bollon (to the immediate south of Murra Murra). The homestead garden was not particularly lush & is surrounded by dry, open Mulga country. The owner has hopefully annihilated it by now. Amazing where they are turning up!

Cheers

Craig
Thanks Craig! It's a worry all right. Appears we have a "sleeper" species that is extremely adaptable and resilient. Far more than anyone could have imagined considering ours were your typical "English country garden" variety 150-odd years ago. They are already established over a wide variety of dry and wet habitats in the southern states, including Tasmania, and look like doing exactly the same in Southern Qld.

If anything, blackbirds have accelerated their rate of spread since reaching northern NSW and southern Qld, so should not be underestimated with respect to how far they could eventually spread into Queensland. A male has already turned up on Fraser Island. We shouldn't tempt fate.

Let's trust commonsense prevails and any known satellite populations are actively targeted and nipped in the bud. Of course, someone has to do that and it's not free. I am currently preparing a report to Biosecurity Queensland on the status of blackbirds in Queensland so they have the firepower fro securing funds for blackbird control. To that end, I urge everyone who knows of past/current blackbird locations in Queensland and northern NSW to contact me by 31 May 2009 on (07) 46881318 or by email matzeni@westnet.com.au to bring me up to date with what the current blackbird status is in your area.

Regards

Return to “Common Blackbirds”