Common Blackbird on Granite Belt

Just how many Common Blackbirds have infiltrated Toowoomba and surrounds? And whereabouts are they? To help control this latest threat, please post details of all positive and possible sightings (date, time, numbers, ->O, exact location, behaviour) here. If unsure about your ID, please provide a description of the features you noted ...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Common Blackbird on Granite Belt

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Following a phone call from Ms. Deb Mitchell from Dalveen, between Warwick and Stanthorpe I travelled down this morning to check on her report of Common Blackbird on her property in Dalveen township. I arrived there at 7.15am and immediately on driving through the township saw a male Common Blackbird fly across Pine Crescent, near the Dalveen State School at 56J - 399427E, 6848111N.

Unfortunately Deb was unable to meet me because of other commitments but had arranged for a neighbour to show me about her yard. In the next hour I saw three Common Blackbirds, one of which I believe was the male that I'd seen earlier. The other two birds were either females and/or youngsters. Dalveen township is a very pretty little settlement well-landscaped with exotic and native trees and shrubs, vegetable, fruit and berry gardens flourishing in a temperate climate; everything beloved of blackbirds.

In the hour that I was there I recorded 21 species of bird in this garden excluding the Common Blackbird but including Satin Bowerbird, Eastern Spinebill, Crimson Rosella, Red-winged Parrot and a Collared Sparrowhawk.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Common Blackbirds”