19 at Murphys Creek

Since 1991, these magnificent birds have been annual visitors to Toowoomba and surrounds in fluctuating numbers and for varying lengths of time. The availability of fruiting White Cedar (Melia azerderach) dictate their local movements but how and to what extent is unclear.

Let's collectively get a better idea on their annual numbers, daily patterns of movement and local distribution. How far east do they venture each year? Do they ever reach Ipswich and Brisbane? Provide the date and time, number of birds, exact location, and what they were doing e.g. feeding in white cedar, roosting, flying east.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

19 at Murphys Creek

Post by Mick Atzeni »

There were 19 RTBCs sitting in two eucalypts across from the railway station at Murphys Creek around 8AM on 21/2. Not sure how many were there at 6.30am on 22/2 where we kicked off the club outing but pleased the Red-tails were around that early to entertain those rocking up for the outing.

Hopefully someone remembered to do a count?? Could someone please let us know? As for me, I was too busy counting birders: 30-odd rolled up for the Sunday outing - about twice the norm, thanks again to Gayle Lee's advertising in the Chronicle! Amongst them were a few beginners, so the Red-tails were a fine start to what I hope is a lifelong love affair for these magnificent birds and for birding in general. Trust they enjoyed their first TBO experience too.

I heard at least two Red-tails around 8AM 25/2 at Tiddalac, Upper Lockyer, but couldn't see them to figure out where they were heading.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos”