Brown Gerygone - a first for Murphy's Ck area?

Sightings within the local survey area for the period 1 June - 31 August 2007. The local survey area is a rectangular area extending from Kingsthorpe NW of Toowoomba to the Mt Whitestone area SE of Helidon.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Brown Gerygone - a first for Murphy's Ck area?

Post by Mick Atzeni »

On Saturday, I visited my wife's cousin's property on Mill Rd, SE of Murphy's Ck township.

I was quite amazed to see two Brown Gerygones feeding in a large-leafed tree (species not known) along the creek, which surprisingly was not yet dry! I believe this record is a first for the club in that area (TBO Grid N3).

It may also be the first record ever for the Murphy's Ck area as it is not listed by E.A.R. Lord (1956), who I understand was 54 years in residence at the time of publication. He died in 1961.

A personal goal now is to find a Western there. Having both species on the one property would be quite remarkable. Interestingly, Lord didn't mention Western Gerygone either, yet I consider far more likely given there's plenty of suitable acacia scrub and we know they are an annual winter visitor to the Helidon region.

Interested to hear of any records of either species in the Murphy's Ck/ Upper Lockyer area.

Cheers
Mick

Reference

Lord, E.A.R. (1956) "The Birds of The Murphy's Creek District, Southern Queensland", Emu , 56:101-123.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Winter Within - 2007”