Powerful Owl at "Tiddalac" Upper Lockyer

There are many unknowns about Powerful Owls locally. For starters, how many are there? Where are they? What conservation measures are needed? Here's your chance to help build an accurate picture of all things Powerful, and to keep things that way!

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Powerful Owl at "Tiddalac" Upper Lockyer

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

I've just returned from my first overseas trip (Tanzania) and while I was away Michael Wood stayed at my place and did the unthinkable; recorded a new bird for "Tiddalac" without me! Heard a Powerful Owl on his first night there (6/9) and I quote:
The Powerful Owl was heard on the first night of my stay; it had that deep, booming, drawn-out double hoot -spine-tingling! I first heard it calling around 6.30pm (right on nightfall) from the area of creekline directly below the cabin. From then onwards it continued calling every few minutes or so on another four or five occasions, as it then moved downstream to the north-west. I went out onto the deck every night after that but did not hear it again. On the morning after it called I had a look up and into the trees from near where I heard it first calling but did not see anything.
Nothing worse than missing out in your own patch, is there? A Powerful Owl was photographed about a kilometre away by member Jean McKay at her property in January so possibly it's the same bird. I must confess I am a little surprised I haven't at least heard one yet (been living down here 8 months). It's shaping up as my bogey bird.

Anyway, well done Michael!

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Powerful Owls”