What to target May-June

How many species can we collectively record during 2008? Can we better the past two years? Can we reach 250?? Same rules as previous years. Good luck!

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

What to target May-June

Post by Mick Atzeni »

A flick through my diary and I found the following interesting sightings in the past which may give you some direction:

30/4/05 Diamond Firetail - seen at the junction of Stockyard Ck Rd and Flagstone Ck Rd. Flew up from the paddock behind the industrial bins into trees on the opposite side of Stockyard Ck Rd

Western Warblers seen regularly around the Helidon Dip area in May and June. Concentrate on the acacia areas. Try also along Lockyer Siding Rd and Seventeen Mile Rd, Helidon.

Black-faced Woodswallow seen 26/5/04 on the wires between Toowoomba and Allora - not sure where exactly.

Red-capped Robin seen 29/5/05 along East Ck near Lake Annand. Also look along Connors Rd, Helidon.

Swift Parrots were first seen in June 2000 in Glen Lomond Park when the Yellow Box was in flower.

Saw Topknot Pigeons in Redwood and Glen Lomond in June in 1990 and 2000, respectively.

Squatter Pigeon was seen at the Helidon Dip 12/6/89. This would have been one of the last sightings in our area. Perhaps it will turn up again.

I saw Banded Plovers near Kappernick's Bridge at Helidon in June 1990. Also try around Carpendale in the fallow paddocks. Scan carefully as they are easy to miss. The other place to keep an eye on is the Toowoomba aerodrome where they were quite regular in years gone by. Not sure when they were last seen there but it's several years I think.

We've done really well with the owls so far but the Masked Owl still eludes us. Try spotlighting in Redwood Park and timbered areas around Cabarlah and Highfields.

If you can find another Black-winged Petrel that would be great! On 4/5/96, one was found locally and brought into local vet, Bob Doneley, following several days of windy, rainy weather in SE Qld, with record rainfalls - 20 inches in Toowoomba over 8 days! Full details and photos appeared in the May 1996 club N/L. If you can't manage a petrel, I'd settle for the rain.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

deja vu

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Posted the above target species for the inaugural Challenge two years ago. Interestingly, all these species are still on the 2008 wanted list.

Don't forget to keep your eyes out for Swift Parrots and Regent Honeyeaters this weekend for the national survey. Please let us know should you get onto either species. A Regent Honeyeater was seen recently in Durakai SF at the dam and reported on Birding Aus.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “The Challenge - 2008”