What to target Mar-Apr

How many species can we collectively record during 2008? Can we better the past two years? Can we reach 250?? Same rules as previous years. Good luck!

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

What to target Mar-Apr

Post by Mick Atzeni »

The window of opportuity for finding some species is quite small. We need to be aware of this for the Challenge so none of us can use the excuse: "I would have looked back then if only I'd known".

Turquoise Parrot - April is the only month this species has ever been recorded in the area. Perhaps it's a visitor when a certain native grass is in seed. (Any ideas anyone what grass that might be?) Most sightings have been at the Helidon Dip around the yards and railway line.
Shane Brady and I also saw them at Echo Valley in 1980. That was the first club record for the area. It may pay to spend some time in Echo Valley South Park over the next few weeks.

Red-capped Robin - should be back around Helidon in the acacia scrubs e.g. along Connors Rd. Unfortunately the habitat where it was often seen, along with Western Gerygone, opposite the Helidon Dip has been cleared but try further along and up Lockyer Siding Rd.

White-eared Monarch - a scarce spring summer migrant that has been recorded in March and April in the past and has been seen in Redwood Park late last year so hopefully they're still around.

Also in Redwood and timbered areas elsewhere in the area e.g. Highfields, Cabarlah, Murphy's Creek, keep your ears open for owls calling - Powerful, Masked and maybe even a Sooty! If you suspect you've heard one please report it, even if unsure, so it can be followed up.

April-August appears to be Red Goshawk time in the Lockyer so keep your wits about you and learn how to identify this rare raptor.

Some figs are fruiting at present e.g. in Dawnie St, and presumably around Prince Henry Drive and in Redwood Park, although I haven't checked lately (Can someone confirm?). Monitor these fig trees and you never know your luck. You may pick up Topknots, a Wompoo, Rose-crowned or even a Purple-crowned Fruit-Dove.

Could 2006 be the year we unearth our first Coxen's Fig-Parrot for the survey area? You'll never know if you don't look. :D
Last edited by Mick Atzeni on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
DaveSayers

Figs fruiting

Post by DaveSayers »

I can confirm that many figs are fruiting at the moment.
Mick Atzeni

Dawnie St figs

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Noted plenty of figbirds in the two huge figs in Dawnie St (runs N off Margaret St at eastern end) this morning on my way to work. Imagine the same applies to the fig trees visible from Prince Henry Drive. Would pay to keep any eye open for the fruit-doves and Topknots in these trees. I'm told there's also an Emerald Dove that visits one of the yards in Dawnie St.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “The Challenge - 2008”