Painted Snipe - Cluden

Sightings of local rarities (those asterisked on the club's official Species List and any species not listed. That includes Paradise Parrots!!!) Post your non-local rare or unusual sightings here too.

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Painted Snipe - Cluden

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Following info courtesy of Len Ezzy via Bill Holmes. Thanks guys.
Sent: Monday, 17 November 2008 10:36 PM
To: Len Ezzy
Subject: Painted Snipe still here

Dear birders

Painted Snipe - Great Sunday afternoon find, Annette Sutton.

After work today: This time lucky for us, Chris and I watched the Painted Snipe from 5:20pm to 6:40pm this afternoon about 1km down Racecourse Road (at the cattle dam on the NW side of what I call the “Schikane”), Cluden. The solitary bird showed the same aggression as I was told it was doing this morning, protecting its territory from the encroaching Aust White Ibis. The bird showed absolutely no interest in the noisy Masked Lapwings, while it worked the banks with the Black-fronted Dotterels. It took a late, quick bath and preen. As we left in the fading light, The bird was Spoonbill–like swathe-feeding in the shallows. What a wonderful bird! For me it’s THE bird of the Year. Thanks everyone !

I rolled off 131 digiscope pics in bad light and in very blustery conditions. I might get a few personal passable crops out of them. Here are a couple of them resized for you.

Cheers

Len

Len & Chris Ezzy
Mount Louisa, Townsville, Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Rare/Unusual Bird Reports”