Australian Bustard near Oakey

Sightings of local rarities (those asterisked on the club's official Species List and any species not listed. That includes Paradise Parrots!!!) Post your non-local rare or unusual sightings here too.

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Australian Bustard near Oakey

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

With the following bustard report being just north of Oakey and having already had another one in the Bongeen area southwest of Oakey recently:

.://..toowoombabirdobservers.org/f ... php?t=1644 ,

please be vigilant closer to Toowoomba. You never know, you could be lucky enough to find the first ever bustard in our local survey area! That would be something!! The western boundary is around about the FarmFest site between Toowoomba and Oakey if you're wondering.
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 6:05:44 PM
To: Atzeni, Michael
Subject: RE: Another 'go' at the Bustard!

Max Bacon called in the other day. He said the Bustard had been seen by several people. Also Max was surprised to see it fly. It actually flew over that barbed-wire fence, instead of trying to struggle through. I'm not sure if it was further away from the fence when it took off, though. He didn't say if it was still around.

Gloria

_____

Sent: Monday, 22 June 2009 3:55 PM
To: 'Plaxy BARRATT'; 'Pat McConnell'; Atzeni, Michael
Subject: Another 'go' at the Bustard!

Dear All

Second go: here's the pic!

Max and Pam Bacon sent me this photo Max took of a Bustard at their place perhaps 8 km north of Oakey on Sunday 21 June 09. It was on Portion 217, parish of King.
Thanks Gloria and Max. If anyone wants a copy of Max's photo mentioned above please email me at matzeni@westnet.com.au

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Rare/Unusual Bird Reports”