Bluebonnet at Rockville

Sightings of local rarities (those asterisked on the club's official Species List and any species not listed. That includes Paradise Parrots!!!) Post your non-local rare or unusual sightings here too.

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Bluebonnet at Rockville

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Folks

Information from a Chopin St resident of a Bluebonnet regularly coming into their feeder along with Pale-heads and other species.

There's a good chance this is a wild bird rather than an escapee, provided it's the red-vented form. As we've said before, Bluebonnets, although still rare locally, appear to be expanding eastwards, with records as far east as Helidon in the past 12 months.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Mick Atzeni

Rockville bluebonnet

Post by Mick Atzeni »

I caught up with this unusual record on Tuesday afternoon around 4.30pm following a call from Michele & David Armits, the occupants at 14 Chopin St. I viewed it at close quarters and at length through their lounge room window as Michele said it's easily spooked if attempted to view it outside.

I can confirm it is a perfect example of the yellow-vented race haematogaster so more likely to be an escapee, but a wild bird is still a possibility given the drought. Does anyone really know how far east the yellow-vented race occurs?

As I was leaving I saw it flying back towards Baillie Henderson hospital. One for you to catch up with in your patch, Rod, when you're back in town!

The Armits are happy to phone anyone interested in seeing the Bluebonnet while it's at their feeder. Just contact me privately and I'll pass on your details.

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Rare/Unusual Bird Reports”