Grey Falcon -Durikai State Forest, w. of Warwick

Sightings of local rarities (those asterisked on the club's official Species List and any species not listed. That includes Paradise Parrots!!!) Post your non-local rare or unusual sightings here too.

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Michael Wood

Grey Falcon -Durikai State Forest, w. of Warwick

Post by Michael Wood »

On the 20th of this month, on my way back from a lengthy and wonderful trip back to a cattle station called "Bowra", I stopped in at the well-known dam at Durikai SF to look for the regent honeyeaters reported from there. No regents, but there were five or six dusky woodswallows and numerous white-browed woodswallows above, and above them was a huge grey falcon, which looked to be an immature because it had a rather wide (I'm talking at least three times the width of a kestrels) mid-grey band at the back end of the tail; darkish wing tips and a definte falcon sulhouette. This was one monster of a bird, and from what Bill Jolly has told me, his record of the same species earlier was of a very large bird.

Apparently, there has been historical records of the birds presence in the area, including Back Creek Road, so after some prompting I thought I'd better to do the right thing and post the record.

Wih anyone who goes for it the best of luck.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Wood

Return to “Rare/Unusual Bird Reports”