Bush-hen

Sightings of local rarities (those asterisked on the club's official Species List and any species not listed. That includes Paradise Parrots!!!) Post your non-local rare or unusual sightings here too.

Moderators: Pat McConnell, Mick Atzeni

Bill Jolly

Bush-hen

Post by Bill Jolly »

The Bush-hen returned to Abberton for the third consecutive year on Wednesday 22nd November. It was calling loudly from around 4pm.

This is a month earlier than our previous records, and when we didn't hear it for the next couple of nights, we thought it might have just been passing through. But it called again from around 8pm onwards on Saturday evening, 25th November.

Its pattern in previous years has been to call late every afternoon from the same patch of undergrowth across the creek from the house. The calling can go on for hours, and also is often heard late at night.

I haven't seen the bird yet this year. It's an almost impossible bird to find, but because it has favoured a fairly limited territory in previous years, it can be worth a late-afternoon stake-out.

Once it settles into a pattern of regular calling, I'll make another posting and invite any interested members to come and try for the bird.

Bear with me, and I'll keep you posted.

Bill Jolly

Return to “Rare/Unusual Bird Reports”