In half an hour

Same rules as for past seasons i.e. sightings anywhere within a 250 km radius of Toowoomba, but excluding the local survey area (see above), for the period 1 Mar - 31 May 2008.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

In half an hour

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

On 20.03.08, within half an hour's easy birding around my parked vehicle, I recorded 36 bird species from about 11.30am until just after midday. This was at Glenfern on the headwaters of Somerset Dam. The most interesting sighting was of approximately 30 Wandering Whistling-ducks. Two pair of these ducks were accompanied by very young ducklings; one clutch of nine and the second of five youngsters. Here I also saw an adult Grass Whistling-duck with five advanced young and a Eurasian Coot with three red-headed chicks. Other birds of note here this day included two Great-crested Grebes, a pair of Plum-headed Finches and four Tawny Grassbirds. My list for this short interlude was: Wandering Whistling-duck, Plumed Whistling-duck, Great Crested Grebe, Tawny Grassbird, Plum-headed Finch, Eurasian Coot, Whistling Kite, Clamorous Reed Warbler, Hardhead, Little Pied Cormorant, Pacific Black-duck, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike, Black Swan, Torresian Crow, Australian Magpie, Striated Pardalote, Sacred Kingfisher, Magpie-lark, Pheasant Coucal, Eastern Whipbird, Silvereye, Lewin's Honeyeater, Laughing Kookaburra, Galah, Red-backed Fairy-wren, Golden-headed Cisticola, Noisy Friarbird, Blue-faced Honeyeater, Pied Butcherbird, Australasian Little Grebe, Willie Wagtail, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Australian Wood Duck, Brown Quail, Masked Lapwing, Grey Butcherbird and Rainbow Lorikeet.

A very pleasant stop especially seeing breeding Wandering Whistling-ducks.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Autumn Beyond - 2008”