Type locality of the Black-breasted Button-Quail

There are are only TWO known locations within the local survey area: Redwood Park on the eastern escarpment, and in a patch of remnant dry vine scrub at "Birdwood Sanctuary" just west of Gowrie Junction. Both populations are vulnerable, particularly the latter, as the vine scrub flanks a plateau on which a significant rural residential development is imminent. Fifteen of the 54 acre blocks border the key buttton-quail habitat, which is located on the southern side of the plateau. The button-quail could certainly do with a conservation-minded philanthropist buying up the lot!

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Mick Atzeni

Type locality of the Black-breasted Button-Quail

Post by Mick Atzeni »

I've been telling others that the area around Gowrie Junction was the type locality but couldn't remember how I came across that information, so I followed it up with Walter Boles at the Australian Museum recently. I now have to eat my words!
Subject: RE: Black-breasted Button-Quail (from Michael Atzeni via website)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:20:11 +1000
To: <matzeni@westnet.com.au>

Michael,

When John Gould named this species in 1837, he gave the type locality only as 'New South Wales'. Subsequently, Gregory Mathews corrected this, restricting it to 'Moreton Bay, Queensland'. Mathews also described a new subspecies _goweri_ (not currently regarded as valid) from Gowrie, Queensland.

For your purposes, the type locality is Moreton Bay.

Regards,

Walter

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, 17 August 2008 11:12 PM
To: Walter Boles
Subject: Black-breasted Button-Quail (from Michael Atzeni via website)

Name: Michael Atzeni <matzeni@westnet.com.au>

I'm trying to establish the type locality for BBBQ for an article. I've heard it's near Toowoomba, possibly Gowrie Junction or Glencoe.

Are you able to help me please?

Thanks
Michael Atzeni
Toowoomba Bird Observers
..toowoombabirdobservers.org.au
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485

Return to “Black-breasted Button-quails”