BBBQ platelets -Tabletop

There are are only TWO known locations within the local survey area: Redwood Park on the eastern escarpment, and in a patch of remnant dry vine scrub at "Birdwood Sanctuary" just west of Gowrie Junction. Both populations are vulnerable, particularly the latter, as the vine scrub flanks a plateau on which a significant rural residential development is imminent. Fifteen of the 54 acre blocks border the key buttton-quail habitat, which is located on the southern side of the plateau. The button-quail could certainly do with a conservation-minded philanthropist buying up the lot!

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Michael Wood

BBBQ platelets -Tabletop

Post by Michael Wood »

On Saturday afternoon I spent a couple of hours on Tabletop Mountain and, on a walk along the narrow goat track at the very eastern end of the plateau, I came across what I believe were Black-breasted Button-quail platelets. Initially difficult to identify because of the scree, I eventually managed to find numerous fresh and complete platelets with the odd bird dropping within.
Michael Wood
Mick Atzeni

First record for Table Top

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Mick

This is a highly significant find if they indeed prove to be Black-breasted Button-Quail platelets because I am unaware of any reports of this species from Table Top. The dry vine scrub in Redwood Park and some remnant dry vine scrub on a property near Gowrie Junction are the only BBBQ locations I am aware of in our local survey area.

Did you note the shape of the droppings you saw? This can help in confirming they were BBBQ, rather than Painted Button-Quail, platelets.

Cheers
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Michael Wood

BBBQ Droppings

Post by Michael Wood »

Hi Mick and Everyone.

Yes, I did note the shape of the droppings. It seems a bit queer to say but the only shape I can think of is that of a scrotum -my intention is not to be crass here, i.e. a bulbous white portion with an intact length of brown, approximately double or more the length. It was solid, unlike the fluid droppings more common of other birds. And the droppings were fresh., i.e. the previous 24 hours. They hadn't time to harden.

I've got in touch with Veronica Newbury about the find. I'm quite happy to take anyone to the actual location.
Michael Wood
Mick Atzeni

Droppings

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Mick,

Sounds very promising.

While not foolproof, Painted Button-Quail droppings tend to be cigar-shaped; BBBQ's although similar in appearance tend to be curved at one end - like a stumpy walking stick. Diet can influence the shape.

For detailed info suggest contacting Pat McConnell our Records Officer who published a paper on this very topic!

Cheers
Last edited by Mick Atzeni on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Michael Wood

Those poopies

Post by Michael Wood »

Doubt has now been thrown onto the droppings I came across. I spoke to Rod Hobson last Friday about the find and he suggested that BBBQ droppings can be quite circular (hope I'm quoting Rod correctly here). In saying that, though, they were very much like a "stumpy walking stick" as Mick Atzeni has explained. It would be great if someone in the know was able to confirm or discount this by visiting the spot.
Michael Wood

Return to “Black-breasted Button-quails”