Red Passion Flower

Can't see the plants for the birds? Your birding will be far more meaningful, particularly, once the plant-bird associations gel. Somebody find me a botanist!!
Rod Hobson

Red Passion Flower

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

The very pretty native Red Passion Flower (Passiflora aurantia) is now in bloom at the end of Tobruk Drive, Picnic Point, Toowoomba. It's about 50 metres along the roadside to the south of the Table Top lookout for anyone interested in seeing this attractive plant. It is scrambling through and over the undergrowth just above ground level there.

There is also a small group of the Common Buttercup (Rununculus lappaceus) flowering nearby; just a few metres down the Fantail Walk on the left hand side of the track, as you descend - both species worth a look if you're interested in our native flora.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Rod Hobson

Another location for Red Passionflower (Passiflora aurantia)

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

I also found this attractive plant in bloom along the track just inside of the Bridge Street entrance to Redwood Park on the 26th. inst.

Passiflora aurantia is a native plant but I've noticed lately that the introduced species Corky Passionflower (P. suberosa) and White Passionflower (P. subpeltata) are also in bloom. The very handsome introduced Red-flowering Passionflower (P. coccinea), a native of South America, is a sea of red at a friend's place at Flagstone Creek at the moment as well.

The only Passiflora species that doesn't seem to be flowering locally at present is the Edible (Purple) Passionfruit (P. edulis) which, at this time has ripening fruit. It seems that this plant flowers a few months earlier than these other species.

There is another introduced Passiflora locally, the Stinking Passionflower (P. foetida) that I haven't seen this season so I don't know if it is flowering or not at present. Despite the unappealing name and unlike its other local relations (except for edulis), foetida has quite edible and sweet pulp; small though the fruits are. The fruit is borne in a 'hairy basket' that is formed by the extended bracts of the flower. This species used to be common around the Helidon Livestock Dip but I haven't been there for a long time now so don't know if this is still the case.

Regards,
Rod H.

Return to “Plants, fungi, etc”