Vulnerable Plant found on Mount Table Top

Can't see the plants for the birds? Your birding will be far more meaningful, particularly, once the plant-bird associations gel. Somebody find me a botanist!!
Rod Hobson

Vulnerable Plant found on Mount Table Top

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

If anyone is interested in plants Austral Toadflax (Thesium australe) is presently flourishing on the summit of Mount Table Top near Toowoomba, SEQ. This saprophyte of Kangaroo Grass (Themeda australis) is regarded as a vulnerable plant under the present Queensland legislation. It's quite rare and this appears to be the first record of the species for the mountain. The rare native bluegrass (Dicanthium setosum) is also in seed at the foot of Camel's Hump at present. You'll walk right past it on the track to Mount Table Top.

Both are well worth a look for anyone interested in the weird and wonderful of the vegetable world and my thanks to Ian Menkins who identified the bluegrass to species level for me.

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Last edited by Rod Hobson on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rod Hobson

Another local record of Austral Toadflax

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

From Department of Main Roads employee Peter Sparshott comes another local record of this rare and threatened (vulnerable) plant. Peter and fellow employee Lily Correll found the plant on Tanduringi Creek crossing, Kingaroy-Cooyar Road at GDA 94 - 151.791232 deg., 26.889777 deg. on the 23rd. April 2009. it was found in the habitat typical of this species - on basalt derived soil with a ground cover of Kangaroo Grass under open eucalypt woodland. Thanks for the record, Peter.

Coincidentally I also found Austral Toadflax recently on Marlong Plain in the Mount Moffatt section of the Carnarvon National Park.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “Plants, fungi, etc”