Glossy Black Cockies

This high profile conservation species is reported occasionally in the area. Given the interest in this species' conservation, including the Glossy Black Conservancy, it makes sense to store GBC sightings together for convenience.

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Glossy Black Cockies

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Glossy Black Cockatoos seem to be back in good numbers around the Toowoomba Range Escarpment at present. Yesterday I saw four birds about half a kilometre up range from the junction of Upper Flagstone Creek and Flagstone Creek Roads on the latter road. This was at about 4.40pm. They were feeding in fruiting She Oak (Casuarina litoralis).

I've also seen these birds lately along the Bridle Track below Picnic Point and on Gorman's Gap. There is also plenty of evidence of their being about the range in the form of freshly chewed up casuarina fruit at several other sites.

A word of caution - the Flagstone Creek Road has got to be one of the most dangerous roads around Toowoomba to birdwatch along. The traffic is constant along this thoroughfare and the verges very narrow to almost nonexistant. I walked from the Flagstone Creek Road junction with the Upper Flagstone Creek Road to Spring Street at the top of the range then back down yesterday afternoon. It was a harrowing experience because of the traffic. This used to be a great walk for birding but not now because of the huge increase in traffic - mostly frustrated rally drivers. There are safer places to see Glossy Blacks but, at least here you can get run down by a classier type of vehicle!

Regards,
Rod H.
Rod Hobson

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

With reference to my posting (above) from yesterday. I thought that I heard young Glossies also beg-calling on my walk up Flagstone Creek Range on Wednesday last. Darren Fielder lives quite close to where I made these observations and in a yarn yesterday confirmed that the Glossies had bred in the area recently.

Cheers,
Rod H.

Return to “Glossy Black-Cockatoos”