Black Breasted Button Quail

In 2006, we set up the inaugral Challenge to see if we could collectively record 250 species during the year in the club's survey area. How did we go? Extremely well considering the drought... Plenty of unusual and rare birds .... some great records from non-members too. It was a fascinating year. And a worthwhile exercise which we encourage other groups to follow. See for yourself...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

DaveSayers

Black Breasted Button Quail

Post by DaveSayers »

While no visual evidence was seen of this bird, I have seen evidence of platelets in Redwood Park. Veronica Newbury (Council bushcare officer) also has seen evidence of this recently.

Friends of the Escarpment Parks has received funding from the WWF threatened Species Fund to remove weeds from the BBBQ habitat area which is being destroyed. (acres of cat's clawe creeper).

Dave
Rod Hobson

Butto-quail platelets.

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Be careful when assessing button-quail species on platelets/habitat alone. I've seen Painted, Little and Red-chested Button-quail form feeding platelets, as well as Black-breasted Button-quail. I suspect that all button-quail form feeding platelets but I've only seen the other three species (Olive, Red-backed and Chestnut-backed) a few times in my life and never feeding. In Gatton Forestry I once observed Red-chested and Painted Button-quails, with each species feeding in close proximity to the other; ditto for Painted and Black-breasted Button-quail at Dilli Village on Fraser Island. I've also seen Painted Button-quail feeding into the outer edges of the vine scrub in Redwood Park and they haunt the ecotone between the vine scrub and the woodland there. Similarly I've seen Black-breasted Button-quail in the lantana fringing the vine scrub in Redwood as well.

The presence of platelets alone in Redwood Park is not sufficient evidence to assume Black-breasted Button-quail as being the species responsible.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “'250 in 2006' Challenge”