Red-backed Kingfisher at Flagstone Creek

In 2006, we set up the inaugral Challenge to see if we could collectively record 250 species during the year in the club's survey area. How did we go? Extremely well considering the drought... Plenty of unusual and rare birds .... some great records from non-members too. It was a fascinating year. And a worthwhile exercise which we encourage other groups to follow. See for yourself...

Moderator: Mick Atzeni

Rod Hobson

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

Yesterday, about 5.15pm I was travelling along Back Flagstone Creek Road towards its junction with Flagstone Creek-Helidon Road. About 100 metres along Back Flagstone Creek Road I had good views of a Red-backed Kingfisher on the property boundary fence running parallel with the road. I had clear views of the rump and streaked head of the subject. This area seems to be a good place for this species. I've seen them at the Lockyer Creek crossing at Iredale and along the Back Flagstone Creek Road. Many years ago a pair nested in a bank at the Fresian/Jersey dairy on Flagstone Creek Road, east of its junction with the Stockyard Creek Road.

I didn't have my GPS with me yesterday, unfortunately. Anyone who is thinking of chasing up on the kingfisher should keep a look out for Diamond Dove as well. Yesterday, I saw a small dove fly up from the roadside near the dry, weedy creek crossing there. It looked svelte enough to be this species rather than the stockier Peaceful Dove. Unfortunately it disappeared into the adjoining bushland there and I couldn't get another look to be sure.

Regards,
Rod H.
Mick Atzeni

Club outing 26/3

Post by Mick Atzeni »

Thanks to Rod's timely posting those on the club outing to the Helidon area today caught up with the Red-backed Kingfisher about a km up the Flagstone Ck Rd from the Back Flagstone Creek Rd turnoff. It was a lifer for many and certainly the bird of the day.

No sign of a Diamond Dove at the creek crossing but plenty of activity including great looks at Red-backed Fairy-Wren, Superb Fairy-wren and Chestnut-breasted Mannikin for the beginners.

A couple of us had a fleeting glimpse of a Tawny Grassbird there too.
Michael Atzeni
7 Woden St, Murphys Creek 4352
Mob: 0499 395 485
Rod Hobson

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

On last Saturday mid-morning I was returning home from an all night roister with old birding companions Chris Corben and Terry Reis in Brisbane. Despite my not feeling entirely chipper on this ocassion I decided to look in on the Red-backed Kingfisher at Flagstone Creek. I was glad to see that the bird was still about finding it perched on overhead powerlines about 400 metres west along the Flagstone Creek-Helidon Road with its juction with the Back Flagstone Creek Road (GDA94 - S27deg 37.261', E152deg 05.905').

For the records the GPS for my original sighting was GDA94 - S27deg 36.974, E152deg 06.148', just over Evans Bridge.

I drove back down on Sunday afternoon but the kingfisher was not in evidence this time. For those of you who have a general interest in things natural I found a roadkill Spotted Monitor (Varanus panoptes) on Hartz Road, Helidon on this day. It now appears, and seems to be backed up by local specimens that I've seen, that local goannas that were previously called Gould's (Sand) Monitor (Varanus gouldii) are actually panoptes. The other local monitor is the Lace Monitor (Varanus varius).

Regards,
Rod Hobson
Rod Hobson

Red-backed Kingfisher, Flagstone Creek SEQ. 09.05.06

Post by Rod Hobson »

Folks,

On the midmorning of 09.05.06 I was travelling towards Toowoomba on the Flagstone Creek Road. At the juction of this road with Smith Road the powerlines cross Flagstone Creek Road diagonally at coordinates GDA94 - S27deg37'39", E152deg 05'06". On these lines on this day I saw a Red-backed Kinfisher perched nonchalantly, which allowed me a protracted view through Zeiss 10x40B binoculars. It was a male bird, large and with clean, distinct markings. It was not the same bird as that which I saw in this general area on 22nd, 25th March. I'm now sure that that particular bird was a female. Years ago this species nested within about 200metres of this last sighting so, perhaps, there is again a pair of nesting birds around this general area. Leastways there have been two individuals of the species in this area within the last six weeks.

Regards,
Rod Hobson

Return to “'250 in 2006' Challenge”